|“||All right, so here we are in front of the, uh, elephants, and the cool thing about these guys is that, is that they have really, really, really long, um, trunks, and that's, that's cool, and that's pretty much all there is to say||”|
―Jawed in Me at the zoo (2005)
|“||why the f*ck do i need a google+ account to comment on a video?||”|
―Jawed in 2013
Jawed Karim (born: October 28, 1979YouTube of Bangladeshi-German descent. Many of the core components of PayPal, including its real-time anti-fraud system, were designed and implemented by Karim.) is a German-born American technologist and co-founder of
Personal life & Career
Karim was born in East Germany to a Bangladeshi father and German mother, but he crossed the Berlin Wall and grew up in West Germany. He moved to the United States with his family in 1992, two years after German reunification. He graduated from Central High School in Minnesota and he attended the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He left campus prior to graduating to become an early employee at PayPal, but continued his coursework, earning his Bachelor of Science in computer science in 2004.
While working at PayPal, he met Chad Hurley and Steve Chen. The three later founded the YouTube video sharing website in 2005. YouTube's first video, Me at the zoo, was uploaded by Karim on April 23, 2005.
After co-founding the company and developing the YouTube concept and website with Chad Hurley and Steve Chen, Karim enrolled as a graduate student in computer science at Stanford University while acting as an advisor to YouTube. When YouTube was acquired by Google, Karim received 137,443 shares of stock, worth about $64 million based on Google's closing stock price at the time.
In October 2006, Karim gave a lecture about the history of YouTube at the University of Illinois' annual ACM Conference entitled YouTube: From Concept to Hyper-growth. The lecture material also contained pictures and videos of Jawed, Chad and Steve from the garage days of YouTube. Karim returned again to the University of Illinois in May 2007 as the speaker at the university's 136th commencement.
More recently, Karim has launched a venture fund called University Ventures, with the goal of helping current and former university students to develop and launch their business ideas.
- Jawed uploaded two videos on April 23, 2005; "Me at the zoo" and another video titled "Rolling down a hill", which he later took down.
- Jawed once had 68 videos uploaded by August 2005, 121 videos uploaded by December 2005, 45 videos uploaded by February 2008, and only one video upload by July 2012, many of which he took down for unknown reasons.
- Jawed has commented on a few videos, which he took some down for unexplained reasons. He once commented on larfus' "Baby Fart" video saying, "rofl!!!!!!!!!!" in June 2005. He also once commented on mw's "My Snowboarding Skillz" video saying, "Ouch!" sometime in 2005, which mw responded to Jawed's comment. He commented "you just saved me many hours of frustration. i used a shoe sole, and it worked perfectly!" on a video entitled "How to remove a lens filter that's stuck" in 2011.
- Jawed is the slowest channel to reach 1 million subscribers, achieving it 15 years, 2 months and 24 days after the channel was created.
- He is of Bangladeshi-German descent.
- He may have been interested in aviation, since he recorded airplanes taking off for many of his deleted videos.
Note: The following dates are according to
- 1 million subscribers: July 16, 2020
- 2 million subscribers: July 29, 2021
Video view milestones
- 50 million views: May 20, 2018
- 100 million views: June 23, 2020
- 150 million views: January 31, 2021
|This page uses Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported-licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|