Lauren Cherie Southern (born: June 16, 1995), is a Canadian libertarian, far-right/lite activist, political commentator, and former writer for The Rebel Media, a far-right Canadian online media company. In 2015, she was a candidate in the Canadian Federal Election representing the Libertarian Party of Canada. Party officials suspended Southern's campaign, but she was reinstated after Breitbart News and The Rebel Media shilled for her. She studied political science at the University of the Fraser Valley, but completed only two years and did not receive a degree. She was born in Surrey, British Columbia and is currently a resident of Langley.
- Black Pigeon Speaks
In June 2015, she went to the SlutWalk in Vancouver with a counter-protest sign that read "There Is No Rape Culture In The West". As a result, her Rebel TV cameraman was shoved at and her sign was torn up while reporting on the event. In March 2016, Southern went to a Trans Pride event in Vancouver and told someone that there are "only two genders" in an inciting incident, leading a protester to pour a container of liquid assumed to be urine over Southern's head. In 2016, Southern's Facebook account was allegedly blocked after she criticized Facebook policies. Southern initiated "The Triggering" whereby every March 9, the day after International Woman's Day, Twitter users post deliberately hateful content "in defense of free speech".
In 2017, she was detained by the Italian Coast Guard for blocking an NGO ship embarking on a search-and-rescue mission in support of "Defend Europe" - a white nationalist organization. As a result, Patreon deleted her account out of concerns about her "raising funds in order to take part in activities that are likely to cause loss of life".
In March 2018, she was questioned under the UK Terrorism Act and denied entry to Britain, because of her intentions during her March visit. She said she was "permanently banned" from the UK, though it was later confirmed she was refused entry for specific purposes only, not banned.
Her political views are opposing Islam, liberalism, multiculturalism, feminism and LGBT rights while supporting paleoconservatism, cultural nationalism, and the right to bear arms. She has spread right-wing conspiracy theories such as "the Great Replacement" and "Cultural Marxism". While she denies calling herself a white nationalist, she has expressed sympathy for "identitarianism", which many consider little more than a code word meaning the same thing.
When she was asked about her religion, specifically to the question of whether she is Christian, she answered she is "searching".
|[hide]Canadian federal election, 2015: Langley—Aldergrove|
|New Democratic||Margot Sangster||7,490||12.5||-6.85||–|
|Green||Simmi Kaur Dhillon||2,644||4.4||-0.86||–|
|Total valid votes/Expense limit||59,896||100.0||$216,042.49|
|Total rejected ballots||204||–||–|
|Source: Elections Canada|
- Feminism Discussion with TheNewKid & LaurenSouthern
- Feminism Discussion Part 1
- An "Ignorant Jerk's" Response to Mark Ruffalo
- Women Reveal "Sexist" Job Questions?
- "You Can't Have A Slut Walk In A Real Rape Culture"
- What Really Happened At The Vancouver Slut Walk
- Feminism in One Word - Thorium Video
- A Conversation With A Cab Driver
- Ryan Jesperson Show "Does Rape Culture Exist" Debate
- Conversation With A Trans MRA
- SJW Starter Pack
- Women's Studies - Update
- The First Rule of Women's Studies Is.....
- Conversation with George Lawlor on Consent Lessons and Free Speech
- Women's Studies - Do Feminists Hate Men?
- Trent Students Don't Know the Definition of Violence
- FreedomOfTweets The Gregory Alan Elliot Campaign
- CANADIAN TRIGGER WARNING HOTLINE REFUSES TO AID TRIGGERED WOMAN
- SFU "Sweater Day" Video Triggers Students
- I Stand With Hillary
- SJW BERATES LYFT DRIVER
- "It's my birthday. All I ask is that you include pictures of cute animals in any tweet you send me. That includes hate mail.". Twitter.com. 2016-06-15. Retrieved 2016-07-01.
- "Twitter". Mobile.twitter.com. 2015-11-25. Retrieved 2016-07-01.
- "Lauren Southern". Libertarian.ca.
- "Lauren Southern - The Rebel". Therebel.media. Retrieved 2016-07-01.
- "Meet the Canadian college student who's about to be the next enemy of the feminist movement". The Daily Dot. Kabas, Marisa (June 15, 2015).
- "Lauren Southern". The Rebel. therebel.media.
- "Lauren Southern, 'Anti-Feminist,' Reinstated as Libertarian Candidate". Breitbart News Network. Bokhari, Allum (July 9, 2015).
- "Lauren Southern | Libertarian Party of Canada | Home". Libertarian.ca. Retrieved 2016-07-01.
- "Internet Jerks Pledge to Make Internet Even Worse in #TheTriggering". TheMarySue. Retrieved 2016-09-03. Lachenal, Jessica (2016-03-09).
- ""There Is No Rape Culture in the West"". TheRebel. Retrieved 2016-09-03. Southern, Lauren (2015-06-09).
- "Activist accused of pouring bottle of urine on Rebel reporter during 'anti-fascist' rally in Vancouver". National Post. Retrieved 2016-05-21. Raptis, Mike (2016-03-07).
- "Protester pours urine on journalist for 'hateful' comments". Yahoo7. Retrieved 2016-05-21. Christian, Natasha (2016-03-08).
- Trump supporter BLOCKED by Facebook for complaining about site's censorship of right-wing activists By DAILYMAIL.COM REPORTER, PUBLISHED: 15:33, 22 May 2016
- "The Troll Booth". WSJ.com. Retrieved 2016-09-03. Taranto, James (2016-05-23).
- "The Triggering: A powerful defence of free speech against the professionally offended". Retrieved 29 July 2016. Southern, Lauren (10 March 2016).
- "The alt-right, explained in its own words". washingtonpost.com.
- Elections Canada – Confirmed candidates for Langley—Aldergrove, 30 September 2015
- Elections Canada – Preliminary Election Expenses Limits for Candidates
This page was created on September 21, 2016 by JakCooperThePlumber.