|“||Hey what's up, guys, and welcome back to a brand new video on the GODDAMN internet.||”|
Calvin Lee Vail (born: August 18, 1995YouTube commentator and comedian residing in New York (previously living in Seattle, Washington), who made commentary, reaction, and drama videos. Though his content was heavily criticized and soon led to his rise to fame on YouTube, he was known to popularize the gameplay/commentary format, which soon led to the popularity of similar commentary YouTubers and is still used by many channels today.), better known online as LeafyIsHere (or simply Leafy), is an American former
Calvin stopped uploading on YouTube on December 12, 2017, due to the changes of YouTube that brought down his channel and he expressed that he'd be gone for the time being. He posted a video responding to drama with iDubbbzTV and his girlfriend on March 31, 2020. Many people speculated that he is returning to YouTube but in an interview conducted by Keemstar of DramaAlert, Calvin says that he would only make videos for fun on LeafyIsHere and post less frequently. Calvin continued to post on an unpredictable schedule, mostly mocking various YouTube drama situations.
On August 21, 2020, Calvin's channel was permanently terminated from YouTube for violations of YouTube's policy on harassment and bullying. On August 23, 2020, Calvin's second channel was terminated as well. Calvin subsequently moved to the streaming platform Twitch until his termination in September 12, 2020. Currently, Calvin is inactive at producing videos and is occasionally uploading rants on his Twitter, Instagram and Storyfire without posting an entire video on it.
On December 15, 2020, Calvin was hired by RedBloom LLC to make YouTube content for their channel Weafy but the channel got terminated on December 28, 2020.
On April 16, 2021, Calvin's 2nd Twitter account created in 2020 during his return (@Leafy) was suspended and his first Twitter account which he has confirmed in a DramaAlert interview to no longer have access to due to it being hacked has since lost it's verification badge.
On August 29, 2021, Calvin attempted to came back to YouTube despite still being permanently banned on a new channel called Lucky, on which he uploaded a video simply called h3h3productions. The channel would get terminated on September 3, 2021.
Although the main focuses of Calvin's videos are his commentaries, he often displays gameplay footage in the background of his videos including various different video games, though most commonly the "surf" game mode in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS: GO), as well as games such as A Story About My Uncle, Doom, and Overwatch.
Calvin started his YouTube channel originally posting Minecraft gameplay videos at the age of 16. He owned a ParaPVP Minecraft server to game upon, however, he made a kid angry, who ended up calling him a "butt muncher" and DDOSed his Minecraft server. Calvin, therefore, moved onto CS: GO gameplay, which helped his channel grow.
Feud with MrBlackDarkness666
In January 2016, Calvin video uploaded a video called THE SADDEST MAN ON YouTube, where he talked about a YouTuber known as MrBlackDarkness666, a depressed goth who always got harassed by different people, even little children.
He saw Calvin's video as harassment, so he released a video called LEAFYISHERE GO F**K YOURSELF. In the video, he talked about how his girlfriend broke up with him because she thought that Calvin's video had a point. At the end of the video, he showed a photo of Calvin in real life, setting it on fire with a cigarette and ripping it apart, showing that he could make Calvin leave him alone.
Eventually, Calvin responded with a video THE SADDEST MAN ON THE INTERNET. In the video, Calvin said that the video on MrBlackDarkness666 wasn't intended for harassment and he apologized, but he also said that it wasn't his fault that his ex broke up with him. In the end, the two appeared on DramaAlert, where they apologized to each other.
TommyNC2010 and h3h3Productions Feud
On March 19, 2016, Calvin uploaded a video titled “THE MOST HEROIC FEDORA MAN ON YouTube,” in which he talked about an autistic YouTuber, TommyNC2010. Later that day, TommyNC2010 uploaded a video titled “I am getting Death Threats LeafyIsHere, why?,“ in which TommyNC2010, upset, recorded himself crying and explaining how he was getting a lot of hate and death threats from Leafy's fans, which caused h3h3Productions to make a video about the situation (which is now unlisted).
After Calvin was receiving backlash from h3h3's rant video, he soon took down the video and uploaded an apology video appropriately titled “Apology. However, after h3h3Productions’s former rant about Calvin received over a million views, Calvin made a response video (which is now unlisted) stating that Ethan Klein from h3h3Productions tried to side with Calvin, where he shows several text messages from h3h3Productions talking negativity about the YouTuber Pyrocynical. Pyrocynical eventually made two videos addressing the situation, the latter of which titled “Let's Call it Quits #uniteyoutube.
The first of which Pyrocynical removed. Keemstar attempted to invite both parties to DramaAlert later on to discuss the matter but failed. Later, Ethan from h3h3 apologized for his critique of Calvin, stating that the video was "too personal" and "making it seem that Leafy was his enemy". After this, Calvin started to include a disclaimer on his videos for fans to not "witch hunt" the people/content he reviews.
On June 13, 2016, Calvin uploaded a video titled "THE KEEMSTAR AND DRAMAALERT RANT", where he talked about how Keemstar was doing "some criminal shit", which included threatening to release people's information if they criticized him. Calvin also talked about how he falsely accuses people of being a pedophile, with one such accusation making an old man cry while he was streaming on Twitch. Another point in the video was, according to Calvin, that Keemstar was being a hypocrite.
When someone informed Keemstar that Calvin was going to make a video about the false pedophile allegations, he told Calvin that if he was to make a tweet or video about him, he would release his DM'S with him. Calvin also brought up that Keemstar was invading other people's privacy and revealing their faces. On July 4th, 2016, Calvin’s YouTube channel was hacked by Twitter user PoodleCorp, who changed the video titles of all of Calvin’s videos to “hacked by twitter.com/poodlecorp".
Months after the scandal, Calvin was accused of sub botting three times. The first incident was when his and Colossal is Crazy's sub counts spiked on Social Blade. However, it turned out to be a glitch. The second time was when a small YouTuber known as Ecy claimed to have evidence of Calvin being registered on a sub botting website and using it, in which Keemstar reported. After Calvin proved the information to be incorrect, Keemstar told his audience the information was wrong. However, on the third incidence, the hacker group OurMine hacked into his old Gmail and found out that Calvin made a shorter link to a sub botting website back in 2013, which he denied. Keemstar then reported on the issue. He claimed he wasn't accusing Calvin of sub botting, but did say in the video that he was on a Skype call with Calvin asking for advice after iDubbbzTV's Content Cop on Keem caused his subs to decline. He claims that Calvin's response was "Well you can bot the likes...", Calvin then made a statement about the situation, denying the accusations of him sub botting and claiming that the call between him and Keem never happened.
After Calvin's ex animator HeyWatchYourMouth spoke out against him, saying that he wasn't paying him good enough and claiming that Calvin and Grade did backstab Keem, Calvin started getting hate and losing subs. In October 2016, Calvin and Keemstar made their first confrontation in months in a Baited Podcast episode, with Colossal is Crazy and Tommy C STFP in the same call. Keem accuses Calvin of backstabbing him, lying about him and trying to ruin his career while Calvin denies most of the claims. Five arguments were brought up in the Baited episode, Keemstar won five, Calvin only succeeded in one and one was tied. After that Baited episode aired, Calvin gained more hate.
However, in an interview with Keemstar on October 25, 2018, Keemstar asked about the controversy of him and GradeAUnderA attacking Keemstar. Calvin said he did it for revenue. The drama was brought up yet again in August 2020 when Leafy was interviewing Keemstar on his Twitch series The Leafy Show (@TheLuckyShow on Twitter). He let the viewers submit questions via the Twitch chat and one of them had mentioned the drama. Leafy and Keem then responded by saying that the drama was staged as to bring Leafy's viewers to Keem's channel and Keem's to Leafy's. Whether Grade was involved in this as well is still unknown.
iDubbbz Content Cop
On September 13, 2016, iDubbbzTV created a "Content Cop" video, as part of his on-going series on YouTubers, on Calvin, criticizing his videos' content for (in iDubbbz's opinion) having a bad format and overall low quality with repetitive jokes. He also played several existing jokes on Calvin, such as referring to Calvin as a cyberbully and also mocking the size of Calvin's chin, with these jokes either being combined or used interchangeably and in satirical nature, to mock Calvin's claim that his videos are "satire" while using the type of jokes Calvin would make in his commentary videos (such as mocking a part of his appearance which the individual can not control), which iDubbbz in play also depicted satire by its true form and definition.
After iDubbbz's video, Calvin's subscriber-count began to fall drastically and eventually, according to SocialBlade, caused Calvin to lose 2,000 subscribers per day. Many, however, believe iDubbbz wasn't directly involved in this despite his popular video and Calvin's audience was slowly noticing subconsciously how repetitive Calvin's content was and was gradually starting to lose interest before he jumped in. iDubbbz was simply the last little push some of the audience collectively needed.
On October 2, 2016, HeyWatchYourMouth uploaded a video titled, "The Real LeafyIsHere". In the video, HeyWatchYourMouth accused Calvin of not giving a shoutout, proper payment, or credit, when he worked on Calvin's videos. He also accused Calvin of telling him to make videos on h3h3Productions, and why Calvin and GradeAUnderA attacked Keemstar. The video that HeyWatchYourMouth made was later deleted.
On October 9, 2016, Calvin apologized to HeyWatchYourMouth for not giving enough credit or a shoutout, and lost thousands of subscribers daily, as well as having his viewership decline rapidly after the drama.
Calvin stopped uploading after December 12, 2017, with his last video being "this video will make you cry..." He mentioned in the video that he hadn't been consistent in uploading as he lost motivation to upload. Another YouTube commentator, NFKRZ, made a video about Calvin's supposed hiatus. In it, NFKRZ speculated that Calvin quit YouTube as he was set for life. NFKRZ also said Calvin is no longer uploading because he isn't active on Twitter anymore; however Calvin later mentioned that his Twitter account was hacked and was locked out of the account, unable to regain access. It was also mentioned by WildSpartanz that Calvin wasn't passionate about YouTube anymore and decided to quit.
On June 20, 2018, YouTube commentator EmpLemon uploaded the video "Leafy Was Here". In it, he goes on to explain Calvin's YouTube career, from the beginning to the downfall. The video received widespread attention, getting over 3 million views. After being uploaded, some people started referring to Calvin as "LeafyWasHere" instead of "LeafyIsHere".
On October 25, 2018, the LeafyIsHere interview was uploaded. When asked about what he'd been up to, Calvin said he had been making investments, which could mean that he's had some form of activity in the stock market, such as online trading for example. This was later confirmed almost a year and a half later on episode 3 of the Mom's Basement Podcast, when Keemstar says at 55:34 "...For those of you that don't know, Leafy is heavily invested in the Stock Market, he's basically a stock trader...". Keemstar also claimed in the podcast that Leafy took $2.5 Million of his YouTube earnings to invest in the stock market and made a lot of money.
At 13:45 in the interview, Keemstar brought up the drama that happened between them and asked Calvin why he and GradeAUnderA attacked him. Calvin replies, "...AdSense was at an all-time high, but... and I can only speak for myself, obviously," admitting that he started the feud for sake of money.
In October 2019, Leafy changed his subscription box from having other YouTubers to one account called Crisp with the caption "LITTLE SISTER" above it. He's actually Leafy's younger brother. Afterwards, YouTubers started theorizing that Leafy might make a comeback featuring his brother. On January 26, 2020, Leafy changed his description, removed his brother's account from his subscription box, and removed his banner. He also posted on his community tab: "Was fun ride, Happy 2020 everyone!" He was also in Keemstar’s video "Leafy returns to YouTube to talk to Nick Avocado" where he talks to Nick Avocado about the situation of him getting disliked.
On March 31, 2020, Leafy premiered a video titled "idubbbz," which featured thirty seconds of him addressing his former critic. Since then, he was uploading one to two videos a week on an irregular schedule. The first few mainly addressed the people he had past negative interactions with.
Calling out iDubbbz
YouTuber iDubbbzTV, who has made a Content Cop against Calvin, had faced controversy due to his girlfriend creating an OnlyFans account and him expressing his approval of the ordeal. KEEMSTAR of DramaAlert later announced that Calvin might make a response to iDubbbz. On March 31, 2020, Calvin made a 30-second video titled "idubbbz" mentioning that Ian (iDubbbzTV) "is a cuck". At the end of the video, Calvin stated that still does not like YouTube, denying the possibility of a comeback.
Calling out Pokimane
On July 31, 2020, Calvin released a video titled "Content Nuke - Pokimane". Inspired by h3h3Production's "Content Nuke - Keemstar", which is itself a parody of iDubbbzTV's Content Cop series, the video called out Pokimane for copyright striking various videos that criticized her (e.g. ItsAGundam's video).
On August 21, 2020, the main channel was terminated due to "creating content designed to harass, bully or threaten".  After news broke out, Calvin made an interview with Keemstar, stating the situation. Many people speculated that some critical people behind the termination were Pokimane and/or Ethan of h3h3productions, although both parties denied any involvement. Calvin later moved to his second channel, LeafyIsntHere, where he uploaded multiple videos regarding everything that happened. On August 23, 2020, the LeafyIsntHere channel was terminated for ban evasion. In a later DramaAlert video, Calvin went on to explain that he would be moving to Twitch. As of September 2020, (before his Twitch account was deleted) he had over 281,000 followers and averaged 10,000 live viewers. Just before he had got banned on Twitch the LeafyVODS YouTube account had every single video taken down by YouTube and was later terminated also for ban evasion.
On September 11, 2020, Leafy was permanently banned on Twitch due to "Engaging in hateful conduct and threats of violence against a person or a group of people".
Fake Second Comeback
On December 3, 2020, a person pretending to be Leafy posted a new video on a YouTube account where he previously uploaded his previous videos after he was terminated. In his latest video titled "Im actually back... (LeafyIsHere)" he announced his "comeback" to YouTube, calling out YouTube's double standard against him. Leafy had not mentioned anything about this channel on any of his socials, all the other videos on the channel are re-uploads of storyfire content or his old YouTube videos and the description states that the channel is not owned by Leafy but is actually owned by his manager leading people to suspect that the account was another fake, which was then confirmed in Leafy's actual second comeback where he talked about how the fake account had got verified, something that even the original account didn't have. How the "Im actually back" video would have been obtained is still a mystery. The imposter account was later terminated.
Actual second come back (Weafy)
On December 23, 2020, Keemstar posted on twitter that Leafy was hired by a company called RedBloom.LLC to be a host and make YouTube videos for their company, and that he was planning on making a video about Pyrocynical and the allegations of Pyro grooming a minor. Leafy then re-tweeted this and put a channel link in his twitter bio, this link was his new YouTube channel Weafy. The next day on December 24, he put out a new video called "what really happened to leafy" where he talked about what he did after his YouTube ban and why he got a new account. In the video he mentions that the YouTube channel is only part time and that he should start posting on there soon, he clears up what accounts are not real and also talked about how he has faith in RedBloom.LLC. What's said in the video is then confirmed by the channel description "Leafy is a content creator hired by RedBloom.LLC, This channel is owned by redblooms.LLC". There are only two links connected to his channel as of December 24, one titled "lol" that links to his merch store https://alwayslucky.com and another titled "leafy" which links to his twitter account. The name Weafy being chosen instead of Leafy is him changing an L to a W (a loss to a win).
On December 28, 2020, the channel was terminated for ban evasion. Despite RedBloom.LLC owning the channel and not Leafy, YouTube still terminated it on the grounds that the channel was used to aid in ban evasion, which is against YouTube rules. Leafy would later say that he was dropped by RedBloom.LLC on Twitter.
On April 16. 2021, Leafy's only active Twitter account, @Leafy, was suspended from the platform. His old account, @LeafyIsHere, is still up, but is inaccessible to Leafy due to him not being able to log into it since it was hacked. This leaves Instagram as one of his only active socials remaining.
Currently, Calvin is still uploading rants on his Instagram.
Attempted third comeback (Lucky)
On August 29, 2021, Calvin attempeted to come back to YouTube despite still being permanently banned from the platform on a new channel called Lucky, on which he uploaded a video simply called h3h3productions. The channel would get terminated on September 3, 2021 for ban evasion.
On December 14, 2021, Calvin's old Twitter account that had been lying dormant since May 2017 had been reinstated and he was able to regain access to it once again. The account was once verified but it is unlikely he will get it back due to his "edgy" posts.
Calvin would later make a tweet saying that he missed YouTube and teasing potentially creating another account, later replying to the aforementioned tweet saying that he might move to Dailymotion, and would later tease a podcast.
Calvin’s fanbase, who often called themselves "Reptilians" or "The Reptilian Brotherhood", was known to often spam videos and channels with comments such as "hiss" and "nice shirt" — mostly on videos that Calvin talked about. Around the time when Calvin's channel was first gaining rapid popularity, many of Calvin's fans spread the phrases "Hissss" and "Leaf a Like" on multiple websites attracting the attention of large amounts of internet users. Multiple YouTubers, and even the infamous hacker group "Lizard Squad" (known for hacking PlayStation Network and Xbox Live on multiple occasions), once tweeted "hiss" to Calvin multiple times, which caused “hiss” to become an inside joke on Calvin’s channel. His fanbase also has a habit of calling Leafy their "Reptilian Overlord" or simply "Father", "Dad or "Son". Some even call him "Mother", "Daughter" or even sometimes "Femmy" (the name of his female lizard fursona) because of a joke that he is secretly a lesbian.
- Calvin has once collaborated with RiceGum.
- Calvin is one of the most profane YouTubers on the site, nearly swearing almost every 10 seconds in all his videos.
- Calvin has met Billy the Fridge in person before.
- In most of Calvin's commentaries, he begins the clip which he is reacting to with saying “pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-play that shit!”
- Some of Calvin’s fellow YouTuber friends include Keemstar, Colossal is Crazy, and GradeAUnderA.
- On one of Leafy's Twitch streams Leafy stated that his preferred name is actually Leafy, not Calvin.
- There is a channel called Leafy Radio that contains all the songs Calvin uses in his videos (Calvin does not own the channel).
- In a video released on September 28, 2016, titled "MAN GIVES UP ON LIFE AND GIVES AWAY HIS OWN EYEBALLS TO TINDER GIRL" Calvin reveals that he lives in Seattle. This contradicts previous knowledge of him living in Utah. This is restated in videos discussing Billy The Fridge, where Calvin says he ate at the chicken place Billy was standing next to. He currently lives in New York according to his new Twitter account, @Leafy, as of 2020.
- Calvin has stated in a video and on twitter that he is 5'10" and in another video in order to stop rumors/allegations by some fans that he is not short, he stands up in front of the camera to show his height.
- Calvin's channel was hacked by PoodleCorp, in which after the incident Calvin had to re-title all his videos (or was backed-up by YouTube).
- In the video "Please Help Me... (Facecam)", Calvin uses the Professor Oak Research Lab Theme from Pokemon Red and Blue as the background music for the prologue/skit.
- Calvin has collaborated with YouTuber Luna a few times.
- Due to Calvin mentioning a lot of people in his videos, some of his fans started to unsubscribe the second he uploaded due to him "ranting" about them. Calvin's videos' comment sections were brutal due to mass amounts of flame wars in the comment sections between Calvin and a person he mentioned.
- Calvin was known for cracking anime jokes. His most common were pronouncing "Na-ru-toe" "nuhh-rue-toe".
- PewDiePie mentioned Calvin from the game called "Gang Beast #6" where he says, "Hey everyone, Leafy here and I'm gonna kill myself." and got hit by a train in the game.
- On August 16, 2020, a fake account that is also named "LeafyIsHere" started reuploading videos as archived videos after the real LeafyIsHere account got terminated.
- In Videogamedunkey's Youtuber Tier List, he makes fun of Leafy by saying Calvin is considered to be "The Man" among youtubers. He is also S tier in Dunkey's tier list.
- Leafy is the third largest channel to be terminated.
Note: The following dates are according to
- 500 subscribers: December 20, 2011
- 1,000 subscribers: February 15, 2012
- 5,000 subscribers: July 3, 2012
- 10,000 subscribers: November 30, 2012
- 25,000 subscribers: April 14, 2015
- 50,000 subscribers: July 6, 2015
- 100,000 subscribers: August 15, 2015
- 200,000 subscribers: September 10, 2015
- 300,000 subscribers: October 7, 2015
- 400,000 subscribers: October 29, 2015
- 500,000 subscribers: December 23, 2015
- 600,000 subscribers: January 7, 2016
- 700,000 subscribers: January 18, 2016
- 800,000 subscribers: January 26, 2016
- 900,000 subscribers: January 31, 2016
- 1 million subscribers: February 8, 2016
- 1.1 million subscribers: February 15, 2016
- 1.2 million subscribers: February 24, 2016
- 1.3 million subscribers: March 6, 2016
- 1.4 million subscribers: March 12, 2016
- 1.5 million subscribers: March 17, 2016
- 1.6 million subscribers: March 22, 2016
- 1.7 million subscribers: March 31, 2016
- 1.8 million subscribers: April 4, 2016
- 1.9 million subscribers: April 6, 2016
- 2 million subscribers: April 9, 2016
- 2.1 million subscribers: April 12, 2016
- 2.2 million subscribers: April 18, 2016
- 2.3 million subscribers: April 24, 2016
- 2.4 million subscribers: April 29, 2016
- 2.5 million subscribers: May 3, 2016
- 2.6 million subscribers: May 8, 2016
- 2.7 million subscribers: May 15, 2016
- 2.8 million subscribers: May 18, 2016
- 2.9 million subscribers: May 22, 2016
- 3 million subscribers: May 27, 2016
- 3.1 million subscribers: June 2, 2016
- 3.2 million subscribers: June 9, 2016
- 3.3 million subscribers: June 12, 2016
- 3.4 million subscribers: June 14, 2016
- 3.5 million subscribers: June 18, 2016
- 3.6 million subscribers: June 21, 2016
- 3.7 million subscribers: June 25, 2016
- 3.8 million subscribers: July 5, 2016
- 3.9 million subscribers: July 10, 2016
- 4 million subscribers: July 15, 2016
- 4.1 million subscribers: July 20, 2016
- 4.2 million subscribers: July 25, 2016
- 4.3 million subscribers: July 29, 2016
- 4.4 million subscribers: August 8, 2016
- 4.5 million subscribers: August 16, 2016
- 4.6 million subscribers: August 23, 2016
- 4.7 million subscribers: August 31, 2016
- 4.8 million subscribers: September 11, 2016
- 4.9 million subscribers: August 13, 2020
- Below 4.8 million subscribers: October 6, 2016
- Below 4.7 million subscribers: November 16, 2016
- Below 4.6 million subscribers: December 21, 2016
- Below 4.5 million subscribers: February 12, 2017
- Below 4.4 million subscribers: April 30, 2017
- Below 4.3 million subscribers: October 8, 2018
- Below 4.2 million subscribers: September 19, 2019
|This page uses Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported-licensed content from Wikipedia.|
[view page] [view authors]
Wikitubia Hall of Fame