Marques Keith Brownlee (born: December 3, 1993video producer, vlogger, host, and internet personality, best known for his technology-based YouTube channel. The channel is said to be one of the fastest growing channels and one of the most subscribed-to in the technology industry. In August 2013, Vic Gundotra, Senior Vice President, Social for Google, called Brownlee "the best technology reviewer on the planet right now."), also known online as MKBHD (short for MKB High Definition), is a
Brownlee resides in three East Coast cities: Maplewood, New Jersey; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and Hoboken, New Jersey. He attended Columbia High School, and is currently is a marketing student at Stevens Institute of Technology. He is majoring in business and technology, while minoring in Information systems, and marketing. Other than producing content and school, he plays golf, and is a former professional ultimate frisbee player with the New Jersey Hammerheads.
Brownlee joined YouTube on March 21, 2008. He first started uploading videos January 1, 2009, about new products, or reviews of products he already owned. He says his first videos were screencasting where he would post an image and just talk over it, then responded to requests from viewers of what they would like to watch. His first several hundred videos were primarily hardware tutorials, and freeware. He was later approached by companies to demonstrate their paid software and hardware, but only reviews products that would be of interest to his audience of technology enthusiasts. Brownlee is best known today for his content about hand-held devices. Brownlee usually uploads one video per week.
Brownlee's reviews have been promoted by other review sites. Engadget promoted, in January 2012 they feature his tour of the then-new cloud based storage service called Insync In November 2013, one of Brownlee's most viral videos was posted based on the LG G Flex. He performed various scratch tests to portray the self-healing ability of the device. The video hit over a million views in the first day. In December 2013, Brownlee did an interview with Motorola CEO Dennis Woodside which was widely quoted. Woodside confirmed his plans for customization with Project Ara.
Explained (Channel Series)
Explained is a series started on the channel that provides more information on any tech related subject and the history, future and his own thoughts on it.
- MKBHD was mentioned in the first scene of the 2018 YouTube Rewind.
- MKBHD is the second person of color to reach ten million subscribers, following KSI.
- During the beginning stages of his channel, he had made 100 YouTube videos to get to 74 subscribers.
Note: The following dates are according to
- 4 million subscribers: November 15, 2016
- 5 million subscribers: September 29, 2017
- 6 million subscribers: May 1, 2018
- 7 million subscribers: October 20, 2018
- 8 million subscribers: February 25, 2019
- 9 million subscribers: August 2, 2019
- 10 million subscribers: December 17, 2019
- 11 million subscribers: May 8, 2020
- 12 million subscribers: September 3, 2020
- 13 million subscribers: November 22, 2020