Ninja Sex Party (NSP) is an American musical comedy duo consisting of singer Dan Avidan and keyboardist Brian Wecht. NSP has but one goal: To take your body sweetly by the hand and then rock its face off with amazing music.
The work of Ninja Sex Party typically consists of synthpop or rock-oriented humorous songs, frequently on the topics of sex, seduction, love or fantasy, with Avidan and Wecht portraying the characters of Danny Sexbang, an idiotic, exuberant and strangely-dressed hypersexual Jewish man, described as tender yet firm, sensual yet masculine, and horny yet not creepy about it, accompanied by his best friend and roommate on keyboards, Ninja Brian, an uncommunicative, homicidal ninja; however, their cover albums Under The Covers (2016) and Under The Covers Vol. II (2017) saw them take on a non-comedic approach to music for the first time, covering songs from the 1970s and 1980s.
They have been awarded "Best Comedy Video" by Industry Power Play, as well as the "Trophy of Awesomeness" on Vimeo's website. Additionally, they won "Best Comedy Video Short" and "Best Comedy Song" in Improvisation News' 2010 INNY Awards. Their video "Sex Training" also appeared on the Comedy page of The Huffington Post.
NSP formed in February/March 2009 in New York City and are currently based in Los Angeles, CA. Avidan, who previously sang in bands such as The Northern Hues and Skyhill, initially conceptualized the band, and in need of a producer and/or bandmate, was introduced by a mutal friend to Wecht at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre, who was the musical director of a comedy troupe in New York.
They began performing together that summer, appearing in various film festivals, including SXSW, Dragon Con, and the LACS. All their early music videos were directed, shot, and edited by Jim Turner, who was the only person paid for his involvement; all other people participating were friends working for free.
In 2011, they released their first album, "NSFW" on iTunes. It includes many of their songs released via YouTube.
Apart from NSP they are also known as two thirds of the video game-based musical trio Starbomb, together with frequent collaborator Arin Hanson, and members of the Game Grumps YouTube gaming channel.
To date, NSP has released five studio albums (three consisting of original material, and two cover albums), in addition to two albums as a part of Starbomb. Wecht initially acted as a record producer and performed all the instruments on their early albums, until they started working with producer Jim Arsenault and backing band Tupper Ware Remix Party in 2015. Wecht and Avidan have appeared in TWRP's own works, either as individuals or as Ninja Sex Party.
- NSFW (2011)
- Strawberries and Cream (2013)
- Attitude City (2015)
- Under The Covers (2016)
- Under The Covers, Vol. II (2017)
- Cool Patrol (2018)
- Under the Covers, Vol. III (2019)
Session and Touring Musicians
- Arin Hanson – spoken vocals (2011-present; also performs Starbomb songs at NSP live shows)
- Tupper Ware Remix Party – backup band (2015-present)
- Lord Phobos – guitar
- Commander Meouch – bass guitar, backing vocals
- Doctor Sung – keyrar, synthesizer, modified vocals
- Havve Hogan – drums
- Avidan joined Hanson's YouTube Let's Play webseries Game Grumps as a co-host of their title series in 2013 as the former member Jontron left; Wecht also joining the team in 2015.
- The character "Danny Sexbang" was originally named "Danny Sweetnuts" before being changed to "Sexbang" as Avidan felt the name seemed stronger.
- The band was inspired by The Lonely Island and Flight of the Conchords.
- Julie Katz, a member of Wecht's earlier comedy troupe, would later be featured in their music video "The Decision".