Stuart Webster (born: January 1, 1993YouTuber who makes animated history videos about topics including wars, revolutions, and historical figures, explained in a comedic, fun and simple way, while still being informative and historically accurate.), better known online as OverSimplified (formerly known as Webzwithaz), is an Irish-American
Webster created his channel on October 28, 2006, but he didn't upload his first video until October 21, 2016, titled WW1 - OverSimplified (Part 1). It has now gotten over 33 million views as of October 2021. On September 12, 2017, he reached 100,000 subscribers and he reached 1 million subs on October 11th, 2018. Since then he has released merch and created more animation history videos.
Censorship in parts of Europe
In 2017, the Hitler - OverSimplified video was marked as offensive and blocked in parts of Europe due to legal claims by unknown persons. He did explain he was going to dispute the claim (post on Patreon). Since then, YouTube has removed the offensive classification and restored monetization to the videos, but they still remain blocked in certain countries. This video was the only video blocked in certain countries.
This censorship has since been used to say in his NordVPN sponsors, "are there some OverSimplified videos that are STILL blocked in your country?" or something similar.
Note: The following dates are according to
- 1 million subscribers: October 11, 2018
- 2 million subscribers: March 18, 2019
- 3 million subscribers: January 26, 2020
- 4 million subscribers: November 7, 2020
- 5 million subscribers: June 15, 2021
Video view milestones
- 100 million views: January 23, 2019
- 200 million views: July 9, 2019
- 300 million views: March 17, 2020
- 400 million views: October 22, 2020
- 500 million views: April 15, 2021
- 600 million views: August 15, 2021
- Webster has stated that outside of YouTube he works in film and video production.
- Webster revealed that the original script for his first video, WW1 - OverSimplified, contained a lot more profanity, but he took it out for two reasons; first, to make it more classroom friendly, and second, his mother's disapproval.
- Webster has said that Bill Wurtz' History of Japan had a big influence on him, but that he has created a more unique style for himself since his first video.
- Webster lived and worked in Japan for some time and is able to speak some Japanese.
- Webster is an Irish-American and has dual citizenship.
- According to Socialblade, his original channel name was Webzwithaz.
- His most popular video is his WW2 - Oversimplified (Part 1) video, which has over 50 million views.
- When his 2-part Napoleonic Wars series was uploaded and premiered on Youtube on May 28/29, 2021, the 2 videos occupied the #2 (Part 1) and #1 (Part 2) Trending spots on YouTube at the same time.