- 1 Career beginnings: 2011-2013
- 2 Comeback: 2016-2017
- 3 Multiple foiled comebacks: 2018-2019
- 4 Starting new and fresh: 2019-present
- 4.1 Contra and a few others (March 2019-June 2019)
- 4.2 Super Mario Bros. and ROM hacks (July 2019-August 2019)
- 4.3 More Mario madness (September 2019-December 2019)
- 4.4 Pokémon games and Donkey Kong Country trilogy (February 2020-June 2020)
- 4.5 Pokémon Emerald Version and more ROM hacks (July 2020-August 2020)
- 4.6 Pokémon make-up and Generation IV (September 2020-December 2020)
- 4.7 Random games galore (February 2021-May 2021)
- 5 Commenting rules
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Politics
- 8 Records
Career beginnings: 2011-2013
VideoGamePhenom was first founded as VideoGamePhenomHD on February 27, 2011. The channel was named after fellow YouTuber GuitarHeroPhenom, but VGPHD mainly focused on gaming and not music. Its first videos were the main Pokémon games from Generation I to V. In the month of June, VGPHD started doing other games such as Mario, Zelda, and Mega Man. By 2013, VGPHD began expanding even further with 3D games from the N64 and so on. By late November of 2013, VGPHD closed its channel due to lack of production, citing poor video and audio quality, despite receiving a decent amount of viewership.
Multiple foiled comebacks: 2018-2019
VGP made another comeback by around April 2018 by posting videos of Super Mario Bros. for the NES, but shortly thereafter, NintendoGamingHD, having a new channel, VideoGameCollectionHD, responded by making claims again, thereby resulting in the shutdown of VGP. VGP kept making new channels to post content in a effort that NGHD or VGCHD would not respond, but on all accounts, VGP still lost everything due to false copyright claims by both opposing channels again, all spanning between April 2018 and March 2019.
Starting new and fresh: 2019-present
Contra and a few others (March 2019-June 2019)
By April 11, 2019, VGP began posting content that did not link to its previous content, such as Contra, LifeForce, and a select few others.
Super Mario Bros. and ROM hacks (July 2019-August 2019)
During the summer of 2019, VGP did Super Mario Bros. and more than 100 graphics hacks.
More Mario madness (September 2019-December 2019)
By September of 2019, VGP continued to post retro gaming content with games for the NES, SNES, GBC, and GBA, which featured more Mario retro games and a few ROM hacks.
Pokémon games and Donkey Kong Country trilogy (February 2020-June 2020)
By February 23, 2020, VGP began posting boss battle clips of the Pokémon games in seven different languages; English, Spanish, Italian, French, German, Japanese, and Korean, marking the first time in YouTube history that a gamer posted content in multiple languages. Around the same time, a coronavirus outbreak was affecting the world, but VGP decided to keep posting content as planned. After it completed the Pokémon games, VGP reached 10,000 uploads. It also concluded its session by posting all three Donkey Kong Country games for the SNES and GBA respectively.
Pokémon Emerald Version and more ROM hacks (July 2020-August 2020)
Not too long after completing the Donkey Kong Country original trilogy, VGP announced that it would being doing all six languages of the Pokémon Emerald Version and select other games, including some Mario hacks. It officially began its session on July 5. By mid-July, mid-way through doing the French language of Pokémon Emerald Version, VGP was marred by technical problems and a shoulder injury, thereby delaying the session. VGP announced that it planned to finish the French language of its current doing and put the remaining two languages of Pokémon Emerald Version on hold when the time came, and that it would do some ROM hacks of some Mario games. VGP resumed activities on July 31. VGP completed the French language of Emerald and then began doing ROM hacks, just as it did the previous summer. After doing a few ROM hacks, including some Mario Kart custom-made hacks, VGP announced that it would take a break from gaming, so that it could get its main computing unit back from repairs. It announced that it would resume the Pokémon games on September 12, 2020. On August 17, VGP received its main computing unit from repairs and resumed its duty on gaming, but would still put Pokémon on hold until its desired date. Its next batch of games were from the Nintendo DS platform, including New Super Mario Bros. and Kirby: Squeak Squad.
Pokémon make-up and Generation IV (September 2020-December 2020)
VGP announced that it would make up with the remaining two languages of Pokémon Emerald Version starting September 12, 2020. The remaining two languages of the Emerald Version were completed on September 20, 2020. Shortly thereafter, VGP began doing the Generation IV games of Pokémon. VGP did Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum in all seven languages until November 16, 2020.
Random games galore (February 2021-May 2021)
On February 24, 2021, VGP intended to do Pokémon HeartGold & SoulSilver, but because of syncing issues, it had to cancel the project, but still intended to do other games aside from Pokémon. Unwilling to do anything big for the next few months, VGP found itself demoting to shorter games, especially 8-bit titles for the NES and Game Boy. On May 27, 2021, VGP announced that it would be taking a break from posting content, but intended to make up with Pokémon HeartGold & SoulSilver effective July 5, 2021.
VGP has rules that ensure that everything is safe and sound. For those who comment on videos VGP owns, those must abide those rules. Not obeying those rules properly could result in the assailing channel getting blocked. Listed below are some rules that VGP laid out for its channel and policy.
- No spamming: Everybody hates spam. Do not post comments that consist of trying to attract attention for yourself or any sort of gibberish nonsense.
- No advertising: Do not post comments that promote any sort of advertisement, which consists of putting in links for certain websites.
- Watch your language: Do not post comments that contain vulgarism, homophobia, derogatory, religion bashing, or racism.
- No sexism: Do not post comments that promote sexism, pornography, or any personal religion.
- English please: The user only understands the English language. Posting a comment in any language other than English is acceptable, but will be translated for review.
- No block evading: If your account is blocked, and if you're deemed to be commenting with any backup account, that account will be also blocked, and the punishment for your main account may extend as well.
- No impersonation: Do not operate an account that impersonates VGP or any known famous person. If you are caught doing this, you will be immediately blocked, and you could also be reported.
- No inappropriate usernames: Do not operate an account that has a username offending VGP or anyone else. If you are found to have such an account like this, you will be immediately blocked.
- Do not post any personal or confidential information: This is a big no-no. Do not post any sort of personal or confidential information that consists of a person's real name, street address, financial information, public records, identity, or anything beyond that. This is a DDoS or phishing offense, and is redundant by any means. In addition, depending on how much personal information is exposed, this could also be a federal crime, and the punishment varies depending on which country the assailant resides in.
- No threats: Never threatening this user or anyone. Posting threats may represent that you're attempting to do bodily harm to someone. This matter is taken seriously. Depending on how severe the threat is, it could be a federal crime, and the punishment varies depending on which country the assailant resides in.
- Do not trick others into breaking these rules: If you try to other users into breaking these rules by accident, they will not get in trouble, but you will get in trouble yourself, so don't do it.
- VideoGamePhenom was named after GuitarHeroPhenom, a channel that did songs from Guitar Hero games and various covers of songs.
VGP has endorsed Donald Trump for the presidential election in 2016. In 2020, VGP continued to endorse Trump by using the slogan "Making video games great again".
- Lifetime views: 1,700,000+
- Videos uploaded: 12,000+
- Subscribers: 13,600+
- Playlists: 320+