YouTube is a site where users can upload their own videos. It was founded on February 14, 2005, at Midnight ET February 13, technically launched after Google Maps. and has become very popular across the world. There have been some controversies with copyright infringements, however. As of November 2, 2013, the YouTube channel was the #1 most subscribed channel on YouTube. On December 8, 2013, the YouTube channel was beaten by PewDiePie, but then got back to #1 one day later on December 9, but lost it only hours later to PewDiePie once again. Three days later, they claimed the #1 spot for a third time, but was surpassed for good by PewDiePie on December 22 of that year.
The YouTube channel, formerly known as YouTube Spotlight, as of March 2019, ranks as the 27th most subscribed on their website. They as well hold the title of having the most subscribed 2004 created and American channel for the most amount of time on their website by surpassing Smosh on September 23, 2012, although TaylorSwiftVEVO surpassed the channel for the most subscribed American channel spot for a month and a half prior to YouTube Rewind 2017 before permanently surpassing the channel in the middle of January 2018. Furthermore, they have the most subscribed July created YouTube channel after surpassing 2005 joined YouTuber, nigahiga the same year and is also the most subscribed channel affiliated with news delivering.
All of the videos on YouTube's channel has been viewed over one billion times since December 2015 as well.
YouTube has over 2 billion users, it is one of the top online sites and it has an Alexa ranking at number 2. The site has several features, such as subscribing to users whom you like, this is also known as subbing or subs. Favorites videos you can save on your channel page and come back and watch at a later time. YouTube is one of the best online sites that is free, the only catch is that you must join to like, dislike, comment and upload which is free, and that copyrighted material may be removed.
YouTube initially only streamed uploaded videos in one resolution: 240p. Over time, it started processing newly uploaded videos in higher resolutions. Today, YouTube supports the following resolutions 144p, 240p, 360p, 480p, 720p, 1080p, 1440p, 2160p, and 4320p. YouTube processes uploaded videos in their source resolutions, as well as the resolutions lower than that. Resolutions 720p and up support 60fps, if the uploaded video is in that framerate. The same goes for 50fps. 720p, 1080p and 1440p are labelled as HD, while 2160p and 4320p are labelled as 4K and 8K, respectively.
You must be 13 or older to register an account on YouTube although this rule is often broken by new registered users.
Music, Gaming, And Sports are all YouTube Generated Channels. They technically are the most subscribed channels but due to them being auto generated, it doesn't count.
YouTube was purchased by Google around the time of 2006. Some say it has changed some of YouTube's policies though most of the site continues to work the same.
Several new features have been added to YouTube in the following years.
- Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down is a rating system used to rate comments that are liked by users or disliked, these can be seen on videos that allow the thumbs to be on it.
- Insight - This is a feature that tells you about your video, such as ratings, where it was viewed, how popular it ias, and other recently new breakdowns upon views such as where the most viewers are from.
- Audio Swap - This is a feature that will allows you to add or change the sound on your videos.
- Annotation - This was a feature that allowed you to add notes on certain spans of your videos.
- HD (high-definition)
- Widescreen (16:9 or 4:3)
- Channels Beta - A new style of channels that have been extremely unpopular with many YouTube users.
- Ban from YouTube button - Only YouTubers that have 100,000 subscibers have this button.
If you want to know more about YouTube Rewind, please click here.
- YouTube's YouTube Channel known as YouTube Spotlight at the time was the most subscribed channel on two occasions
- First was November, 2013 surpassing PewDiePie. The channel would be over thrown only one month later in December by PewDiePie.
- Second occurred 4 days later also in December, surpassing PewDiePie once again. PewDiePie would again over throw the channel in December, 11 days later.
- YouTube's channel is one of many channels to be number one most subscribed on more than one occasion. others are Smosh, Nigahiga, PewDiePie, Ray William Johnson, FRED and T-Series.
- The official YouTube channel's join date was once December 31, 1696 oddly enough, though the actual join date was sometime between July 20-22, 2004.
- Currently, the YouTube channel page does not show a joining date at all, despite using the channel page layout that would normally show a joining date.
- 2018 Rewind has the highest number of dislikes of YouTube, becoming the most disliked video in 6 days and having over 16 million dislikes as of May 2019.
- The YouTube Spotlight channel interacts with it's viewers frequently on the community tab of their channel.
- YouTube holds the record of gaining the most subscribers in a single year on YouTube, gaining over 18.1 million subscribers on their channel, jumping from over 945 thousand subscribers at the beginning of 2012 to over 19.1 million subscribers by the end of 2012.
- They are the only non user generated most subscribed channel.
- During their reigns, YouTube Spotlight was the first channel to hit 16, 17 and 18 million subscribers.
- YouTube Spotlight has the most followers on Google+. Second is Google+ itself.
List Of Subscriber Milestones
- 1 million subscribers: January 15, 2012
- 2 million subscribers: March 10, 2012
- 3 million subscribers: March 29, 2012
- 4 million subscribers: April 15, 2012
- 5 million subscribers: May 7, 2012
- 6 million subscribers: May 28, 2012
- 7 million subscribers: June 20, 2012
- 8 million subscribers: July 9, 2012
- 9 million subscribers: July 24, 2012
- 10 million subscribers: August 9, 2012
- 11 million subscribers: August 27, 2012
- 12 million subscribers: September 12, 2012
- 13 million subscribers: September 29, 2012
- 14 million subscribers: October 16, 2012
- 15 million subscribers: November 1, 2012
- 16 million subscribers: November 14, 2012
- 17 million subscribers: November 29, 2012
- 18 million subscribers: December 14, 2012
- 19 million subscribers: December 30, 2012
- 20 million subscribers: January 16, 2013
- 21 million subscribers: February 5, 2013
- 22 million subscribers: March 22, 2013
- 23 million subscribers: July 14, 2014
- 24 million subscribers: February 3, 2015
- 25 million subscribers: December 10, 2015
- 26 million subscribers: December 7, 2016
- 27 million subscribers: December 15, 2016
- 28 million subscribers: December 31, 2017
List Of Video View Milestones
- 1 billion views: December 14, 2015
- ↑ http://web.archive.org/web/20130203200319/http://www.youtube.com/user/YouTube
- ↑ http://web.archive.org/web/20100616095234/http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=3D&view=subscribers
- ↑ http://web.archive.org/web/20100616094101/http://www.youtube.com/user/arnito
- ↑ http://web.archive.org/web/20100612070831/http://www.youtube.com/user/savioshow